learningandfinance.com


National

Missiles are fired from Yemen near US destroyer

Share

Two missiles fired from rebel-held territory in Yemen fell short of a USA warship patrolling the Red Sea off the coast of the war-torn country, the United States navy said yesterday.

USA officials, for their part, have confirmed that two missiles were fired from Yemen at a US naval destroyer - the USS Mason - but that neither projectile had struck the ship. "Even as we assist Saudi Arabia regarding the defense of their territorial integrity, we have and will continue to express our serious concerns about the conflict in Yemen and how it has been waged", said U.S. National Security Council spokesman Ned Price, quoted by CNN.

Asked whether the Pentagon was developing targets for retaliatory strikes, Davis said: "I'm not confirming that right now".

In a statement, the Navy said no American sailors were injured and no damage was done to the USS Mason, an Arleigh Burke class of guided missile destroyer whose home port is Norfolk, Virginia.

"We must do everything possible to ensure the authors of these heinous attacks face justice", Ismail Ould Cheikh Ahmed said after a meeting in Paris with French Foreign Minister Jean-Marc Ayrault.

The coalition intervened in March a year ago in support of Hadi's government after the Houthis overran much of Yemen including the capital Sanaa.

President Obama trash-talks Trump about getting a job at 7-11
The program is among the topics the president discussed Tuesday in Greensboro during a forum hosted by "The Undefeated". Earlier, White House spokesman Josh Earnest said the remarks in the recording amounted to sexual assault.

NYT says no libel, no retraction, no apology for Trump story
He points out that Trump created this reputation for himself through his own words and actions. "You tell me what you think". Trump on a topic like this is unsafe ", the Trump campaign's senior communications adviser Jason Miller said in a statement.

Turkish police tear-gas activists at Ankara bomb protest
Prime Minister Binali Yildirim gave the death toll during an October 9 press conference in Istanbul where he condemned the attack. The military said on Monday that 417 Kurdish militants had been killed and dozens more captured in the past six weeks alone.

The missile fire comes after the Iran-backed rebels blamed the coalition for an air raid that killed more than 140 people and wounded at least 525 on Saturday at a funeral in Sanaa.

The Saudi-led coalition launched a military air campaign against Houthis and Saleh's forces on March 26, 2015 to restore Hadi to power and recapture the capital. USA military action in the country has largely been reserved for the battle against al Qaeda's affiliate, al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula, not the Houthis.

The United States could be implicated in war crimes for supporting Saudi Arabia's deadly military campaign in Yemen, American official documents show.

This was the first time that US ships were targeted by a missile launch from Yemen.

U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon, who issued a strongly worded statement Sunday condemning the funeral hall bombing, suggested that the world body might yet seek to hold Saudi officials accountable for the ever-rising tide of destruction and death in Yemen.

The Saudi military said it earlier intercepted another ballistic missile fired Sunday on the Yemeni city of Marib. He did not say who was responsible, but the Saudi-led coalition has the only warplanes known to be operating in Yemen. The U.N. and rights groups estimate the conflict has killed at least 9,000 people and displaced almost 3 million more.

Share