Missiles may have been fired at United States warships in Red Sea
Oct 18 2016 by Desiree Burns
Guided-missile destroyer USS Nitze (DDG-94) fired several Tomahawk Land Attack Missiles into Yemen to target three Houthi radar sites the US said were used to provide information target the anti-ship missiles used in the previous attacks, Pentagon officials told USNI News earlier this week.
One official said initial reports are that multiple missiles had been fired at the destroyer, which used defensive countermeasures in response.
A U.S. Navy destroyer was allegedly targeted again in the Red Sea in an apparent failed missile attack launched from the coast of Yemen, a U.S. admiral said Saturday. The radar sites had been used to track USA ship movements, a Pentagon spokesman said.
Kerry, speaking to reporters in the Swiss city of Lausanne, also said that the United States was discussing a ceasefire in Yemen with Saudi officials. Another U.S. official said of Saturday's incident, "We will continue to defend freedom of navigation in this critical waterway, and we will take all necessary steps to respond to threats and defend our personnel and ships".
Two U.S. hostages in Yemen were released Saturday an a Navy warship was sacked on for a third time amid escalating conflicts with Houthi rebels who control much of the country.
On Thursday, the U.S. military launched cruise missiles against three coastal radar sites in Houthi-held areas in Yemen as a response to the two previous failed firings at the USS Mason. According to the Pentagon the ship was previously targeted last Sunday and again on Wednesday.
BRICS Leaders Meet In India For Summit
The worldwide community should respect the enormous efforts and sacrifices made by Pakistan in fighting terrorism. Modi asked all BRICS member countries to speak in one voice against this threat (terror of Pakistani origin).
Though the U.S. is providing logistical support to the Arab coalition battling the Houthis, Thursday's launches marked the first time the USA has taken direct action against the group.
The United Nations estimates that 10,000 people have been killed in the fighting in Yemen and blames coalition air strikes for 60 percent of some 3,800 civilian deaths since March 2015.
FILE - In this Saturday, March 12, 2011 file photo, US destroyer USS Mason sails in the Suez canal in Ismailia, Egypt.
"Their names are not being released at this point in time, but we're very pleased with that obviously and we're continuing to work on other hostage situations there and elsewhere".
A Saudi Arabia-led investigation into an airstrike on a Yemeni funeral last week has concluded that Saudi-led coalition jets "wrongly" bombed the ceremony, killing more than 150 people, after receiving faulty information and not following proper procedures.
Thursday's US counter-strikes had already raised questions about the potential for further escalation.