Macmillan backs Bill O'Reilly after Fox News sacking
Apr 21 2017 by Francis Osborne
The company said Wednesday that it had parted ways with longtime host Bill O'Reilly after a "thorough and careful review of allegations against him".
O'Reilly's ouster is the network's second major prime-time shake-up in recent months.
Last summer, 21st Century Fox CEO Roger Ailes resigned in the wake of his own sexual misconduct scandal.
His exit will be a far greater blow than the departure of rising star Megyn Kelly.
The news was discussed by Howard Kurtz, Fox's media analyst, during a segment on the network's 6 p.m. program "Special Report".
Murdoch, who is executive chairman of Twenty-First Century Fox, also wrote the company is committed to "fostering a work environment built on the values of trust and respect".
Representatives for 21st Century Fox and O'Reilly did not immediately respond to requests for comment about Greene's allegations. According to ad-tracking firm Kantar Media, it brought in $147.13 million in advertising revenue in 2016.
Carlson's show, "Tucker Carlson Tonight", will take over O'Reilly's time slot on Monday, April 24.
O'Reilly's show, "The O'Reilly Factor", is the top-rated show on Fox News.
O'Reilly said in the statement at the time that he had settled only to spare his children from the controversy.
"Paying settlements to cover up O'Reilly's egregious harassment was a cost of doing business as long as it was confidential", said attorney Debra Katz, founding partner at Katz, Marshall & Banks, which handles employment discrimination cases. "It will be harder for him to reach the same number of people". It could also have alienated employees.
It's so fitting that the career of Bill O'Reilly, that bombastic sh*theel, comes to a sputtering end without so much as a "goodbye". The O'Reilly-free future for Fox News will be a unprecedented test of its ability to dominate the cable landscape without its leading man, as reported in The Altantic. It's now trying again, although a United Kingdom media regulator must certify that the combined company would be a "fit and proper" owner of the broadcaster. After the dismissal of Ailes, the company struck two settlements involving sexual harassment complaints against O'Reilly and extended his contract. It also said the decision "follows an extensive review done in collaboration with outside counsel". But Fox said Wednesday that wouldn't happen. "That's bigger than O'Reilly", he said.
President Donald Trump, an avid Fox News watcher, had leapt to O'Reilly's defense following the New York Times report, calling him "a good person". Ousting O'Reilly, he said, "does not speak to a changed culture".
Dana Perino, who has been filling in for O'Reilly since he announced an extended break earlier this month, announced that he was no longer with the network, adding: "We know you, his loyal viewers, will have a lot of feelings about it".