Dashcam video shows officer firing 7 shots into Castile car

The Minnesota police officer who fatally shot Philando Castile during a traffic stop in July 2017 has been charged with second-degree manslaughter and two felony counts of dangerous discharge of a firearm

Graphic dashcam video released by Minnesota authorities on Tuesday shows the tense moments between police officer Jeronimo Yanez and slain cafeteria worker Philando Castile before the fatal shooting in July 2016.

The squad-car video was shown at trial, but had not before been released publicly.

The 29-year-old police officer was acquitted last Friday of second-degree manslaughter and of two felony counts of intentional discharge of a risky weapon. The video was made public for the first time, having only been seen by a jury prior to this point. Here's a quick rundown of what's shown - and not shown - in the video.

Flanked by two lawyers, Yanez told investigators from the Bureau of Criminal Apprehension on July 7, 2016, that he smelled burnt marijuana as he approached the auto so he told Castile that he had pulled the vehicle over for the tail light because "I didn't want to scare him or have him react in a defensive manner". There is shouting, and Yanez screams "Don't pull it out!" before he fires seven shots into the auto.

Ted Sampsell-Jones of Mitchell Hamline School of Law says the video doesn't shed any light on whether Officer Jeronimo Yanez reasonably believed Castile was reaching for his gun. Castile appears to hand something to Yanez before saying, "Sir, I have to tell you, I do have a firearm on me". Yanez slowly walks away, and another officer says: "You all right?"

Yanez then fires seven shots into the vehicle, fatally striking Castile. However, it does not show what happened inside the auto.

There should be an embedded item here.

As a Washington Post database reported, Castile was among 963 people fatally shot by police officers previous year alone.

When Officer Yanez opened fire, another officer near the auto jumped back, and Officer Yanez began yelling at the driver. He also said Yanez could have acted differently. Castile said he was not, which was echoed by Diamond Reynolds, his girlfriend, sitting in the Oldsmobile's passenger seat. Reynolds, shortly after the shooting occurred, chose to live stream the fallout from the shooting to Facebook.

Mexico boss Osorio tries to dispel row over homophobic chant
The FIFA president will attend the official opening ceremony, which is scheduled to begin at 16:00 local time (1 p.m. Mexico are making their seventh appearance in the Confederations Cup .

Senator: US at risk of military conflict with Russia, Iran in Syria
On Sunday, a United States jet shot down a regime warplane in northern Syria as it "dropped bombs" on US-backed local forces. The U.S. has also fired on Syrian government ground forces in the east on two occasions in just the last month.

'Day of Rage' protests target Queen's Speech
Media outlets have reacted with rage this morning accusing the far left of "hijacking" the grief of Grenfell Tower victims. Several violent clashes with the police ensued and thus a several-day riot in London and around the country began.

"You just killed my boyfriend", she screams.

Despite telling Castile and Reynolds "OK", it seems apparent that Yanez becomes uncomfortable with the situation, and places his hand on his own holster.

Yanez, reacting to the shooting, continues to yell with expletives.

The video doesn't show what happened in the vehicle.

Minutes later a second patrol unit arrives and Castile's limp body is dragged from the auto by Yanez and another police officer.

Officer Yanez's acquittal prompted days of protests, including one in St Paul last Friday that attracted thousands and shut down Interstate 94 for hours.

Millions of people had already seen the video of the shooting's immediate aftermath, which was famously filmed by Castile's girlfriend, Diamond Reynolds, and streamed live on Facebook. "My son would never jeopardize anyone else's life".

The video was made public Tuesday, just days after the officer was acquitted on all counts in the case.

"What we saw was, this happened very quickly".