Iran quake toll reaches 422, thousands spend night in open
Nov 14 2017 by Desiree Burns
Following the occurrence of the quake, Relief and Rescue Organisation of the Iranian Red Crescent Society in the first phase of its response operation deployed 16 response teams, 31 sniffer dog teams, 41 debris removing teams, 48 emergency sheltering teams and 9 emergency treatment teams to the affected cities of Qasre-Shirin, Gilane-Garb, Kermanshah, Sare-Pule-Zahab, Salase-Babajani, Dalahoo, Islamabad- E- Gharb, and Javanrood.
"What we need is a tent and covers to be able to get through the night", said 24-year-old mother Shima Maryami Kiani.
But more aid was still needed.
Rouhani visited the city of Kermanshah and promised the government would move swiftly to help those left homeless by the disaster.
The head of the elite Revolutionary Guards, Major General Mohammad Ali Jafari, said the immediate need was for tents, water and food. The casualties and damage were limited to only Iran and Iraq, though.
The authorities said water and electricity had returned to most affected regions.
While visiting the region on Tuesday, a national day of mourning, President Hassan Rouhani pointed out that many privately-built homes appeared to have been spared damage.
Rescue workers with sniffer dogs combed the ruins for survivors after at least 280 people were killed in the town of some 85,000 people.
About 30 Red Crescent teams were working in the natural disaster zone. Iranian Army helicopters were taking part in the relief effort.
By Monday, officials said all the roads in Kermanshah province had been reopened.
The area sees frequent seismic activity. Armenian Prime Minister Karen Karapetyan sent a letter of condolences to First Vice-President of Iran Es'haq Jahangiri on the devastating natural disaster that claimed hundreds of lives in the province of Kermanshah, press service of the government told Armenpress.
Across the border in Iraq, officials said nine people were killed.