Global

Riyadh says most corruption detainees have agreed to settle

Share
Riyadh says most corruption detainees have agreed to settle

Saudi Arabia's Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, one of the 10 candidates shortlisted for TIME's 2017 Person of the Year, was leading the readers' poll on Tuesday.

"The necessary arrangements are being finalized to conclude such agreements", Sheikh Al-Mujib said.

Numerous princes and former ministers have been detained as part of the anti-corruption drive, with many being held at the Ritz Carlton hotel in Riyadh.

Saudi estimates that corruption has cost the kingdom at least $100 billion over decades.

The investigation is being overseen by Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, who was appointed as head of a new anti-corruption committee just hours before the arrests began.

Читайте также: Zinke defends monument changes, still supports Badger-Two Medicine protection

The names of those held has still not been made public, but last week Prince Miteb bin Abdullah, who was once seen as a contender to the throne, was released after agreeing an "acceptable settlement" with authorities of more than $1bn (£750m).

But Saudi authorities insist the purge was meant exclusively to target endemic corruption as the kingdom seeks to diversify its oil-dependent economy.

The nature of the charges also remains unclear but the attorney general's statement said "internationally applied procedures" had been followed.

Saudi forces also grounded private jets at airports, possibly to prevent high-profile figures from leaving the country, an aviation source said.

Saudi King Salman bin Abdul Aziz Al Saud Tuesday said that any United States move on Jerusalem is going to provoke Muslim feelings around the world. The government has not commented on his current status.

При любом использовании материалов сайта и дочерних проектов, гиперссылка на обязательна.
«» 2007 - 2018 Copyright.
Автоматизированное извлечение информации сайта запрещено.

Код для вставки в блог

Share