CWG: Scottish athlete's collapse mars men's marathon

Marathon leader hospitalised after heartbreaking collapse

Commonwealth Games organisers slammed bystanders for taking pictures of stricken runner Callum Hawkins after his dramatic collapse while leading the marathon today.

Hawkins collapsed on the kerb before forcing himself up and carried on running. Bravely, he continued for another two hundred metres before collapsing, hitting his head on a roadside barrier.

Scotland's Steph Twell, who finished seventh in the 1500m, ran to the scene and helped Hawkins as he was taken away.

Sports commentator Steve Cram said it was "a disgrace" that it took so long for any paramedics to attend to Hawkins.

Hawkins was visibly struggling before falling and banging his head against a barrier.

As he lay writhing on the road, a global television audience watched in mounting horror, as he was left in clear distress with no one coming to his help.

With Hawkins down, Australian Michael Shelley moved beyond the Scot to go on and take gold and defend his title from Glasgow despite being in some difficulty himself.

"We need to check the facts out...obviously the health of the athlete is absolute prime", he said.

"Where on earth is the help?"

GOLDOC later released a statement which confirmed "medical staff were posted at 500m intervals in the final kilometres of the course" and all staff "had radio communications". "I think it's disgraceful".

CEO Mark Peters said the every assistance possible was being offered to Callum and Team Scotland.

Читайте также: Eagles cornerback reportedly arrested, tased after becoming combative with police

"GOLDOC has put in place a wide range of measures to ensure athlete welfare and the response of medical staff this morning was within agreed response guidelines and time frames".

Callum Hawkins had looked set for a comfortable victory in the men's marathon before succumbing to the Gold Coast heat.

Australia's Michael Shelley ran past the stricken leader, who by this point was being tended to, shortly after as the hometown athlete went on to triumph, with Hawkins' fellow Scot Robbie Simpson also passing him to take third on the line in a time of 2:19.36, nearly three minutes behind Shelley. "This is not in keeping with the spirit of GC2018", he said.

Compatriot Robbie Simpson took bronze in a race won by Australia's Mike Shelley in two hours 16 minutes 46 seconds, with Uganda's Munyo Solomon Mutai second.

Lawson said: "We ran out of a bit of room towards the end but two English athletes getting second and third, you can't ask for much more than that really".

"I learned a lot from Callum and it got me going at halfway when they said Callum was in the lead".

Under marathon rules, runners are disqualified if they accept medical aid.

But Australia suffered setbacks on the last day when their women's rugby team, the Olympic champions, lost a sudden-death thriller against New Zealand in the inaugural final.

Shelley said: "I saw him on the Sundale Bridge and just tried to hang on". Hawkins had about a two-minute lead over Shelley but became disoriented at about the 38-kilometer mark of the 42.2-kilometer-long race. Marathons are tough and today I knew the conditions were hot and it was going to be brutal.

Hawkins, who finished fourth in the World Championships a year ago, was looking set to claim his first major medal.

При любом использовании материалов сайта и дочерних проектов, гиперссылка на обязательна.
«» 2007 - 2018 Copyright.
Автоматизированное извлечение информации сайта запрещено.

Код для вставки в блог