US pulls 2 more from Cuba amid new potential health cases
Jun 11 2018 by Desiree Burns
Two more people from the U.S. Embassy in Havana are undergoing medical evaluation, a State Department spokeswoman said on Friday, after a mysterious illness began to affect U.S. personnel and family members there since late 2016. The U.S.is also examining new potential cases from a U.S. consulate in China.
For its part, China says it has no information concerning the illnesses.
Cuba said it sent investigators to the home who found no potential source of a sound and were not granted access to the official.
The two individuals are considered "potentially new cases" but have not yet been "medically confirmed", a State Department official said.
"As for the latest incident, my understanding is that the United States side hasn't had any formal communication with the Chinese side about it", foreign ministry spokeswoman Hua Chunying said Thursday at a regular press briefing.
Nauert also said that remaining US government personnel and their families in Guangzhou would also be able to request testing if they "noted concerning symptoms or wanted baseline screening". The Cuban government denied involvement in the attacks and the State Department sent more than 60 percent of Americans working at the US embassy there home.
US officials said Friday that they had pulled two workers from Cuba and were testing them for possible brain injury. That's where doctors have been treating and studying patients previously evacuated from the U.S. Embassy in Havana.
Rafael Nadal secures 11th French Open title
However, it was not all smooth sailing for Nadal on Sunday, as he started suffering cramps on his left hand in the third set. Nadal enjoyed a fast start to the encounter, winning the opening six points on his way to going 2-0 up in the first set.
The Penn team said the patients from Cuba experienced persistent disability though rehabilitation therapy customized for them seemed to help.
In 2017 in Cuba at least 22 American diplomat and their family members have suffered as a result of the mysterious "acoustic attack".
It serves four southern provinces with a combined population of more than 204 million and processes more than 1 million visa applications of all types annually.
Since the incident, other employees from the consulate and their families have been evacuated.
"We did not find any cause or clue that leads to the mentioned situation by the United States", she asserted.
Aled Williams, a British teacher at a kindergarten said Thursday that the reports sounded "sci-fi-ish". "But I don't feel that there's something to be very afraid of because it's probably a very special case", Chen said.